Scripture Text: John 14:1-6
Folks there is so much I do not know:
- I don’t know why bad things happen to good people.
- I don’t know why the innocent suffer.
- I don’t know why some die young and others live to be old.
- I don’t know why some seem to lead care-free lives and others have a difficult time.
But there are some things I do know and they require little are no faith:
I. I KNOW LIFE IS SHORT
- Moses said–Seventy years are given to us! Some even live to eighty. But even the best years are filled with pain and trouble; soon they disappear, and we fly away.
Job said–“How frail is humanity! How short is life, how full of trouble! We blossom like a flower and then wither. Like a passing shadow, we quickly disappear.”
David said–“LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.” We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.
- James said–Life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.
III. I KNOW THAT WE LIVE IN A FALLEN WORLD
IV. I KNOW THERE IS A GOD IN HEAVEN [Infinite, sovereign, good]
- Romans 6:23–The wages of sin is death. We die because we are sinners.
- Romans 5:12–When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.
IV. EVERYONE NEEDS A SAVIOR
- The bible says in I Thessalonians 5:23 that we are body, soul and spirit. PROBLEM: we take care of our body’s needs and even our soul but we neglect the spirit.
There is one thing I have to accept by faith and that is–God loves me. Now I do believe that He loves me because the bible tells me so. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. God’s love is more than a feeling, it is a fact. By trusting God’s word, I have assurance that I am loved.
I talked with John last Monday and told him I would be here today. John didn’t call back every few hours and say, “Are you coming Bro. Jack?” Because he took me at my word. If we can trust a man, surely, we can trust God.