Text: Matthew 5:13-14
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.”
Over 40 million evangelicals and no telling how many Reforms forget that we have a dual citizenship. Because they stayed at home in the last two elections, we have Obama and a mess. These people forget that we have dual citizenship. Yes, we belong to the Kingdom of God and our future is in heaven but at present, we live in this sin cursed fallen world. When Jesus said, You are the salt of the earth and the light of the world. He was not talking about our responsibilities in heaven but here on earth. This dual citizenship involves dual obligations and loyalties.
A Christian’s greatest responsibility is to be the light, to be obsessed with the promotion of God’s Kingdom but we are also to be salt. I suppose the proper balance is hard to come by: I may be a little too salty but I am not backing down on my views which are founded on the word of God. But we have a moral responsibility to be the salt of the earth. We want need salt in heaven. Salt was a valuable commodity in Jesus day. We still value salt but in Jesus day there was no refrigeration and the only way to keep meat from spoiling was to apply salt and plenty of it.
Obviously, Jesus understood that society will rot and self-destruct with a stabilizing moral influence. These idiots who say ridiculous things like, “Christians need to stay out of politics,” need to get acquainted with real American history. I’m not talking about the fictional government version. Would the Israelites been freed from Egyptian bondage without the leadership of Moses? Would the Jews have rebuilt the temple without the leadership of Zerubbabel? Would they have rebuilt the walls without Nehemiah? Would America have gained her independence without the LEADERSHIP of George Washington? You know the answer to all, NO!
WASHINGTON’S EARNEST PRAYER
I now make it my earnest prayer that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in His holy protection; that He would incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow-citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for brethren who have served in the field; and finally that He would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind, which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy nation.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people”. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
I want you to understand what this man is saying: our founding fathers gave us such broad, wide and extensive civil liberties that we cannot sustain these liberties without being moral. In brief, immorality will destroy our great republic. Because of our gross immorality, we are losing rights every day and we are going to lose more if we don’t wake up.
- The right to own private property lies at the heart and soul of the Republic. John Hancock would never have joined the patriot cause had not all his property and holding been seized by king George. The IRS hold this right today and it is unconstitutional. The IRS is a government excuse for intruding into our civil liberties.
- The right to bear arms is under attack: thank God for the National Rifle Association and the hunters. The democrats would take your guns today if they thought they could pull it off.
- The right to assemble and to worship according to the dictates of our own heart is under attack.
- The right of free speech is under attack. They are going to lock up preachers like myself for hate crimes. They will constitute any negative criticism, any judgment of the homosexual community as a hate crime. Five years ago, I did not think I would live to see it but now I don’t know.
- The War against Biblical Marriage which is stated clearly in Genesis…2:24 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.” Where did you come from–a mother and father. You did not come from two men or two women but from one man and one woman. There are many reasons for sex but number one is to procreate, to multiply and fill the earth. Homosexuality is not only destructive behavior for those engaged but it will destroy a society.
Too many Christians are naive, they think all homosexuals are like the ones they know—gentle, peaceable people who would not hurt a flea but this is not true the homosexual that is demanding that they church bow to their god. These people are militant and they have every intention of destroying my right and your right to disagree with them. The core of this group in antichrist and antichristian. Two years ago, Franklin Graham warned that they were coming to the bible belt and starting with Alabama. Mississippi will be next.
Too many have the idea that they will never affect them—“I just mind my own business and try to get along with everyone.” We are a lot like the Germans. Martin Niemöller said….
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
Barring a Revival, History is going to repeat itself. I heard a group of people complaining last week about their preacher. They said, “We always know what he is going to preach: it is either abortion being murder, homosexuality being sin or America going down the tube.” I said, “You need to be thanking instead of complaining.” None of them will be at the Marriage rally in Montgomery; you can count on it. They are just peace loving folks who are sleeping in carnal security and do not want to be awakened. There were some folks in Sodom who loved peace: Lot for one. When the fire and brimstone of destruction start falling, you will not have some protective shield; you, your children and grandchildren will reap the bitter consequences of your cowardly non-invovlement.